Bill and Account Collectors
Locate and notify customers of delinquent accounts by mail, telephone, or personal visit to solicit payment. Duties include receiving payment and posting amount to customer’s account; preparing statements to credit department if customer fails to respond; initiating repossession proceedings or service disconnection; and keeping records of collection and status of accounts.
Entry Level: $15.99/hr
Growth for Bill and Account Collectors
|2015 Jobs||2025 Jobs||Change (2015-2025)||% Change (2015-2025)
Industries Employing Bill and Account Collectors
|Industry||Occupation Jobs in Industry (2016)||% of Occupation in Industry (2016)||% of Total Jobs in Industry (2016)
|Credit Card Issuing||177||11.9%||13.4%
|Real Estate Credit||114||7.6%||7.1%
|Offices of Physicians (except Mental Health Specialists)||113||7.6%||1.2%
|Corporate, Subsidiary, and Regional Managing Offices ||87||5.9%||1.7%
|General Medical and Surgical Hospitals||71||4.8%||0.4%
- Arrange for debt repayment or establish repayment schedules, based on customers’ financial situations.
- Locate and notify customers of delinquent accounts by mail, telephone, or personal visits to solicit payment.
- Advise customers of necessary actions and strategies for debt repayment.
- Persuade customers to pay amounts due on credit accounts, damage claims, or nonpayable checks, or to return merchandise.
- Confer with customers by telephone or in person to determine reasons for overdue payments and to review the terms of sales, service, or credit contracts.