Structural Metal Fabricators and Fitters
Fabricate, position, align, and fit parts of structural metal products.
Entry Level: $17.66/hr
Growth for Structural Metal Fabricators and Fitters
|2015 Jobs||2025 Jobs||Change (2015-2025)||% Change (2015-2025)
Industries Employing Structural Metal Fabricators and Fitters
|Industry||Occupation Jobs in Industry (2016)||% of Occupation in Industry (2016)||% of Total Jobs in Industry (2016)
|Metal Window and Door Manufacturing||65||22.7%||7.2%
|Plate Work Manufacturing||20||7.1%||7.0%
|Sheet Metal Work Manufacturing||16||5.6%||7.0%
|Special Die and Tool, Die Set, Jig, and Fixture Manufacturing ||11||3.8%||0.3%
- Verify conformance of workpieces to specifications, using squares, rulers, and measuring tapes.
- Align and fit parts according to specifications, using jacks, turnbuckles, wedges, drift pins, pry bars, and hammers.
- Move parts into position, manually or with hoists or cranes.
- Position, align, fit, and weld parts to form complete units or subunits, following blueprints and layout specifications, and using jigs, welding torches, and hand tools.
- Study engineering drawings and blueprints to determine materials requirements and task sequences.